Excellent customer service is the back bone of any business and it is where a sales person can also make the difference. Just imagine in today’s competitive world how many companies would be selling the products/services as your company’s (may be 100 or 1000) and why would a customer prefer your company when he has 99 or 999 other options and some of them might be selling at 50% of your price. Have you ever thought of this and if you have, you must have got the answer why some companies with premium price do so well in the market than their competitor selling almost similar product at half the price.
The answer to above questions is Customer Service. It is the customer service where you can make a huge difference and can take your company’s reputation to greater heights. Just imagine the situation where you have some issues with your credit card bill or your mobile bill and you contact the xyz company’s customer care and response you get their is very cold and even the queries put forward by you were not even addressed properly. Your bill due date is near and you again contact the customer care and you get same cold response, and the customer care executive does not even know what exactly is the issue and he/she just gives you the lame logic. How frustrated will you be? I personally will be damn pissed with such kind of customer service and will for sure discontinue with their service after I clear my bill. It is not about just 1 customer, how many other customers would have done the same thing after experiencing such bad customer service. It will surely effect revenue and more than revenue the company’s reputation.
Customer Service does not mean attending customers calls or attending to customers queries after the sale has happened. As a sales guy you can make the difference in the entire sales cycle by exhibiting excellent customer service which would also reflect the attention your company pays to the customer and will help in building that confidence in the customers mind.
As a sales professional you can achieve this by:
1) Answer your phone : Whether it is presales or post sales make it a point to attend your customers calls. If you are not able to attend the call due to some reason, always do return the call. Because as a sales guy you are the face of the company and the way you handle the calls and customer query, will also reflect your company’s customer service during the later stages.
2) Listen to their complaints : It is always good to listen to your customers complaints and help them in resolving the same. Follow up with them whether their complaint has been resolved or they need any further assistance.
3) Take that extra step : If you have closed a particular sale that does not mean your job is over. It is your duty to regularly call them and update them about any up-gradation in your system which would be helpful for them. Or you can make a courtesy call to just enquire if everything is going well or they need any further support. These extra things will help build customers confidence in your company and you might get their next order also.
Now as far as the customer care centers are concerned:
1) Always hire courteous staff, they should always welcome any query by the customer and their attitude should reflect that they are there to help the customer solve their problems.
2) Train your staff, it is very mandatory that your customer care executives should have the clear understanding of the product/services your company is offering and they should have to the point solution rather than giving any illogical solutions and answers.
3) If somehow customer care executive is not able to solve the problem, they should inform customer that they will get back to them in the stipulated time with the solution.
4) Customer care staff should be regularly trained so that they are well familiar with their products/services and are able to handle almost all the queries put forward by the customer.
It is the customer service where you can make the difference and win more business than your competitors.
The goal as a company is to have customer service that is not just the best but legendary.
-Sam Walton, Founder of Wal-Mart
In the world of Internet Customer Service, it’s important to remember your competitor is only one mouse click away.